Sunday, September 04, 2005

DREAMS of FLYING - 1982


Dreams of being a Hot Air Balloon Pilot -

I have been exposed to Hot Air Balloons since I was 5 years old. Mainly due to my Uncle Rien over in Holland who has been involved with hot air ballooning and Helium balloon for over 30 years. What started out as a hobby for my uncle turned into one of the best and most successful hot air balloon promotional businesses in the world. When someone in the world is looking to do a proper hot air promotional business, then look to my uncle as an example. His companies main focus is to go after corporate sponsorships, design and manufacture the corporate hot air balloon. Then from there he would set up balloon crews, hire pilots then set up tours to promote the sponsoring corporation. http://www.rienjurg.nl/ , http://www.twenteballooning.nl/ , http://www.cameronballoons.nl/ Each year for the last 25 years....up until he had a heart attack in Thailand last year. He's competed in the International Gorden Bennett Helium Balloon Race for FESTO. The Gorden Bennett Race is comparable to the America's Cup of sailboat racing. Each race depends on how far each balloon can go in distance. Which means that he and his co-pilot would have to spend about 5-7 days in the balloon basket.
After going up in my first hot air balloon at the age of 10 with my father, grandfather, and uncle Rien as the pilot. I knew on that day that someday I was going to become a pilot. It didn't happen right away... i had a few detours long the way....but eventually, eighteen years later I finally got that chance to pursue my childhood dream. At the age of 28 years old....i decided that the time was right. I contacted a good family friend David Smuck down in Austin Texas to see if he could help me get my pilots licience. At the time I was living in Houston Texas...and burnt out of my current job. I was ready for a change. Soooo I decided to leave Houston and begin studying for my written test. After 6 months of intense studying...I flew down to Austin Texas to take my written test and passed with a 93%. From there David Smuck and the rest of the student pilots drove down to Guanajuato, Mexico for 3 months to do our inflight training with David's Balloon. Three months of balloon flying every morning before sunrise, with hiking and kayak in the afternoons. I could say that I truely had the time of my life. Sooo many stories and experiences to share. On December 12th 2003 I finally became an offical FAA certified hot air balloon pilot. http://www.austinaeronauts.com/

No comments: